Your breath is what keeps you alive.
The benefits of breathing:
Mindful breathing helps to relieve tension and restore energy.
As you breathe in and out, you can literally bring energy in, and let tension out.
When we are in tune and connected to our breathing, it can shift us back to our para-sympathetic nervous state – the relaxing state, and bring calm to the the mind and body. When we are calm, we are also more aware of our thoughts and feelings. Breathing:
- Releases tension and stress
- Restores energy
- Counteracts the stress response aka- fight-or-flight reaction.
- The breath gives us focus, allows us to stop the chatter and be more present.
But did you know it also plays a vital role in digestion and detoxing?
In order to have healthy digestion, you need to breathe. Yes, that’s right – BREATHE. How many times have you been left with a belly ache when you inhaled your meal, rather than mindfully chewing, breathing and taking your time. I know that used to be the way I felt after a meal until I realized I was not chewing properly or breathing but rather just swallowing my food, well, rather whole. Yikes! Breathing is the cheapest medicine in the world. Deep breathing oxygenates the blood in a way that shallow breathing can’t. Deep breathing is cleansing. Getting rid of the toxins is easy when we are breathing properly!
FIVE SIMPLE TIPS FOR DEEP BREATHING
Remember, we do our best breathing when we are relaxed so put on your favorite relaxing song or find a special place to get relaxed. Designate this as your sacred time.
1. Find a quiet time and place to relax without the distraction of TV, music, computers or phones (turn it off).
2. Sit or lay down comfortably with your eyes closed. Set an intention to let go of toxic anger, sadness or unworthiness, whether you’re conscious of it or not.
3. Slowly breathe in through your nose to the count of 4; hold your breath for the count of 8, then let it out for 7.
4. As you exhale slowly out through your nose to the count of 7, imagine your breath coming up from the tips of your toes as you release the negative emotions that have taken hold of you.
5. Repeat this deep breathing exercise 3 times while visualizing peacefulness and feeling your body move to a place of tranquility.
Do this deep breathing exercise each and every day a few times a day-it will totally energize and de-stress you!
Practice…practice…practice…and over time you will be amazed at the effects deep breathing has on you.